Apocalypse

Apocalypse

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Albums I Didn't Have Time to Write Full Reviews Of Part 6

Janelle Monáe
The Archandroid
Wonderland Arts Society/Bad Boy Records
2xLP/CD

I wish I had heard this earlier as it is as fresh-sounding an album as I have heard in ages. There are Michael Jackson elements but put through a Beyoncé filter. At least 3 future classic tracks here. Fantastic.

Overall Grade = 8.36



Devo
Something For Everybody
Warner Bros. Records
LP+CD/CD

Leave it to Devo to make an album that is dancier and more timely than any of their previous efforts. They were always ahead of the curve as far as their sonic landscape but this album fits this era creating the impression that pop culture has caught up these New Wavers. Strangely enough, it is their most club-ready track that I enjoy the best.

Overall Grade = 7.43

Stone Temple Pilots
Stone Temple Pilots
Atlantic Records
LP/CD

Admittedly, this is an album that I kind of avoided listening to. It was not nearly as wretched as I thought it would be. This is a fairly solid effort. Would have higher marks if not for a couple of less than mediocre tracks.

Overall Grade = 7.4


LCD Soundsystem
This Is Happening
DFA/Virgin Records
LP/CD

Let me start off by saying LCD Soundsystem is never playing in my house...my house. That being said, "I Can Change," is now in heavy rotation. Too bad nothing else on the album is.

Overall Grade = 6.8

No comments: