Apocalypse

Apocalypse

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
S/T, Young Adult Friction, Everything With You
Slumberland
LP/CD, 7", 7"

I am going to be hard-pressed to find a better debut this year, or most years. As a child of the '80s and fan of My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus & Mary Chain, this is quite a treat for me. Shoegaze has had a bit of a revival with bands like Airiel and others delving back into that territory. But no band has done so beautifully and melodically as The Pains. Each song drips with sweet sadness. Every year, a new band comes out that I want to champion. Two years ago, it was The Besnard Lakes. Last year, it was Titus Andronicus. Though those bands didn't exactly blow up, I have a really good feeling about these guys. I should enjoy them now before everyone knows them and I couldn't care less anymore.

Track Grades

  1. Contender – 9.5
  2. Come Saturday – 9.3
  3. Young Adult Friction – 8.9
  4. This Love Is Fucking Right – 8.9
  5. The Tenure Itch – 9.1
  6. Stay Alive – 9.2
  7. Everything With You – 9.4
  8. A Teenager In Love – 9.0
  9. Hey Paul – 9.5
  10. Gentle Sons – 9.8
  11. Ramona (B-side of Young Adult Friction) – 9.2
  12. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart (B-side of Everything With You) – 8.8

Overall Grade=9.22

No comments: